A common scenario we come across is a website “owner” frustrated from not being able to update their own website. Or worse, they have been burned from a previous website developer and cannot gain access to their hosting, domain or access to their website. WordPress gives website owners control and the freedom to update their own website when needed. Still, there are some actions you should take to have real ownership of your website even when you use WordPress.
Register and Purchase Your Own Domain
One of the mistakes website clients make is allowing others to register domains on their behalf. Registering and owning your own domain is important to having control to your online presence. Owning your own domain allows you have:
- Ownership of the domain (yourcompany.com)
- The ability to specify contact information for the domain’s registrant and administrative and technical contacts as well as add privacy.
- Ability to move your site to a different hosting service and reconfigure the DNS to point to the new location.
- Ability to use your domain for whatever email addresses you want to add.
Avoid Hosting with your Website Developer
Many website developers that provide their own hosting services will provide 101 reasons why you should go with their hosting vs. a giant like GoDaddy or other hosting companies like HostGator. The reality is that when you purchase your own hosting with a specific hosting company, you own your account and you are protected from the website developer to take your website hostage.
1. Choose a hosting company you and your website developer feel comfortable with and setup your own account. I typically recommend GoDaddy because they are user-friendly and have excellent support. There are not very many hosting companies that offer 24/7 phone support.
2. Pay the hosting fees yourself
3. Set yourself up as the administrator and use the Users feature to add or remove users and control their permissions. GoDaddy also lets you add managers to your account but prevents them from being the account administrator. This gives you the control.
Read the Agreement… thoroughly
Before I should say read the agreement, I should say make sure there is an agreement. There have been countless times a client has told me they were burned from a previous web developer. Then they reveal there was never an agreement. One thing to look out for in an agreement is a licensing deal for source code or website design elements. In other words, the web developer owns your code and/or design elements and you will have to pay for them (in addition to the payment you already made for the design) should you ever want to change hosting or website developers.
The Benefit of WordPress
At Impress with WordPress, we are strong advocates for business owners having control of their online presence and website. This is one of the reasons we love WordPress. WordPress gives business owners and bloggers freedom to control, manage and update their website. With a little training, it’s easy to make quick edits and not have to spend hundreds every time you need a few updates to your website.
We offer WordPress design and maintenance packages. Click here to learn more.